Career Opportunity No. 2 at Kaiser Permanente
March 19, 2014
Diabetes Case Manager - RN Bilingual Spanish
The RN Case Manager functions in a self-directed role with a high degree of autonomy in an expanded clinical role guiding appropriate use of resources for a variety of chronic conditions. RN Case Management Services will have accountability for a designated population defined in conjunction with the clinicians in the medical home, and assists the organization in meeting regulatory service and care needs for these populations. The RN Case Manager works collaboratively as a member of the health care team to deliver high quality health care to patients supporting Kaiser Permanente's mission, vision and values. The RN Case Manager provides a variety of nursing services both in person, by phone and via electronic media utilizing nursing process and leadership skills to address acute and chronic needs of Health Plan members and other patients of the Kaiser Permanente Health Care Program. He/she works under the general direction of the designated supervisor and may function in multiple settings within the system, the community and home to provide support for a high risk population.
• Utilize regional population stratification information and processes to identify appropriate members for enrollment into case management in collaboration with clinicians and health care team.
• Independently and proactively complete chart reviews, screening calls and full assessments related to the anticipated level of care and document findings using standardized approved documentation tools.
• Triage findings from member assessments, identifying needs and issues, engage patients to define a plan of care and appropriate level of self-management and interventions. Determine Level of Care. Communicate findings and actions to involved care providers through succinct summaries that include findings, actions and further recommendations.
• With the member/family and appropriate KP staff and providers, develop and document a patient-centered care plan that addresses short term goals that are specific, attainable and measurable.
• Provide care coordination and management services for members with identified needs: Creatively using available and appropriate resources, including KP staff and providers, to support the unique needs of each member; Facilitating access to internal and external services; Monitoring the effectiveness of the interventions; and reinforces the treatment plan. Advising and coaching patients and families; Succinctly document interventions in KP HealthConnect as needed by other providers to ensure coordination of care and services.
• Strengthen and improve Case Management Services: Establish strong relationships with clinicians and other health care team members. Communicate data on population case managed, utilization and outcomes. Education of staff/clinicians. Development and distribution of education, tools and materials for member coordination. Contributing to ongoing process improvement including related procedures, policies, patient support and documentation tools.
• Act as a liaison between the patient and appropriate care delivery team.
• Minimum six (6) years of experience in acute care or ambulatory care/clinic/extended setting within the last eight (8) years of which at least three (3) are in a case management/care coordination role.
• Graduate of accredited school of nursing.
• Bachelor of science in nursing or equivalent nursing experience (6+ years), with the priority given to case management &/or care coordination.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
• Current Oregon and Washington RN license required. License in state where assigned required upon hire/transfer, application for license in secondary state required within 2 weeks of hire/transfer and must be obtained within 6 months.
• Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers required upon hire/transfer.
• Valid driver's license.
• Knowledge of case management principles.
• Demonstrates clinical nursing and leadership skills.
• Ability to work independently in an unstructured environment with minimal supervision
• Able to type 20 words per minute.
• Demonstrates effective interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills.
• Willingness to learn computerized information systems.
• Demonstrates ability to work within teams and within a dynamic work environment.
• Demonstrates customer-focused service skills.
• Knowledge of community resources for the care of the elderly, and patients with chronic conditions.
• Demonstrated ability to organize, coordinate, and manage care plans. Thorough knowledge of levels of care within outpatient, acute care, and extended care settings.
• Demonstrated ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to present reports verbally in a public setting (public speaking).
• Demonstrated data entry skills and ability to use Microsoft Word software.
• CDE required within 6 months of hire.
• 500 hours in the past 4 years in teaching diabetes self-management skills.
• Understanding of the Endocrine system including DM pathophysiology and complications including treatment of emergent situations.
• Knowledge of all types of insulin, their course of action and use.
• Working knowledge of current diabetic tools being utilized by the diabetic population.
• Minimum two (2) years of experience in case management, care coordination, or population care.
• Previous experience with population care/case management, triage and advice preferred.
• Microsoft Word, Excel, & Health Connect experience preferred.
• Quality management methodology and utilization management experience preferred.
• Current or future bachelor's degree in nursing or related field preferred.
• Case Management Certification preferred.
• Previous experience with population care/case management, triage and advice.
• Previous experience with telephonic patient assessment skills, experience working from standardized policies & procedures.
• Experience in case management of patients with Diabetes Mellitus.
• Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE).
• Bilingual Spanish preferred.
$33.76 - $48.55
For immediate consideration, please send your resume to Adriana.F.Mckinnis@kp.org and visit
http://jobs.kp.org for complete qualifications and job submission details, Equal opportunity employer. Drug-free workplace.
If you would like to hear the Kaiser Permanente story as told by our employees, watch the videos at kp.org/jobs/video. Follow us on twitter.com/KPCareers or visit the KP Careers tab on facebook.com/KPThrive.